Re: [nv-l] TSM integration ???

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] TSM integration ???
From: bill.kellam@worldspan.com
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 13:44:29 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 18:45:37 +0000
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
It's been quite a while, but here's what I recall.

There really isn't a "direct to tec" option. It's still snmp, it's just do
you want your TEC server to convert to TEC classes or let Netview. We let
Netview. The next big choice is whether to use unique classnames (defined
in itsmuniq.baroc). We kept it simple and chose to use the base events (ex
TSM_SERVER_EVENT) for everything. That's not necessarily better, just
simpler. One of the drawbacks of the simpler approach is that the TSM
server will be the hostname for every event. If you want to know, for
example, which backup failed, you have to dig to a less common attribute.

That's about all I remember. I never really got involved in TSM itself, I
just processed the events they wanted.

Regards,
Bill Kellam
Enterprise Integration and Management

             Michael D Schleif
             <mds@helices.org>
             owner-nv-l@lists.         nv-l mailing list
             us.ibm.com                <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
                                                                        cc

             03/17/2006 01:30                                      Subject
             PM                        [nv-l] TSM integration ???

             Please respond to
             nv-l@lists.us.ibm
                   .com

We have been asked to manage events originating from my client's Tivoli
Storage Manager systems.

We have found reference to a couple of MIB's; which we can process via
Netview, and forward on to TEC, as required.  Anybody here care to
comment on this process?  What best practices do you recommend?

Also, we find TSM documentation references to a TEC event adapter
(receiver), including these BAROC files:

    ibmtsm.baroc
    itsmuniq.baroc
    itsmdpex.baroc

Again, anybody here care to comment on this process?  What best
practices do you recommend?

I have worked enough with TSM to know, and to respect, the voluminous
stream of events that these processes can engender.

I am especially interested in recommendations regarding managing events
on the TSM side.

Please, understand, I am NOT asking howto use the MIB's in NV; rather, I
am looking for input regarding howto decide whether to use NV for this
purpose; or to go directly to TEC via event adapter.  Somebody with
experience can say if these two processes duplicate each other; and
whether or not there is value in using NV at all in this process.

What do you think?

--
Best Regards,

mds