RE: [nv-l] Migration Document

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] Migration Document
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 09:08:56 -0500
Delivery-date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 15:09:34 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Mike,

There is no supported manual procedure for moving the customization from a
7.1.3 server to an existing  7.1.4 server.    And there is no document
which would outline all of the things you would have to change.  The only
migration procedure  is the one Bill outlined, which allows the migration
utilities shipped as part of the product install scripts to merge what you
have with the new stuff for that release.  If you were to simply move files
and databases from the old machine to the new one, which is already
installed and running, you would overlay all the new stuff for 7.14 with
outdated stuff from 7.1.3 -- there would not be any new additions.  You
might be able to run that way, but neither the process nor the result would
be technically supported.

So unless you want to de-install NetView on your new machine and follow the
procedure Bill outlined you are very much on your own with this.  You could
do it anyway, moving all the files in /usr/OV/conf and it's subdirectories,
and tar up /usr/OV/databases and lay that down too, but you'd have to run
reset_ci to change them to be owned by the new machine afterward.   And
then I think you would have to check all the conf files you moved against
those in /usr/OV/newconfig, and make any additions you find there yourself.
It's a lot of work, with no guarantee of success.

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

             mikemillion2000@c
             omcast.net
             owner-nv-l@lists.         nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
             us.ibm.com                                                 cc

                                                                   Subject
             03/26/2006 03:02          RE: [nv-l] Migration Document
             PM

             Please respond to
             nv-l@lists.us.ibm
                   .com

Bill-

Thanx for the info.  to add to this, the 7.1.4 server already exists..  How
different does this change the steps in the process..?  My initial thoughts
revolved around the maps, the seed file, any customizable files and moving
them over to the new server..

Thanx in advance..

Mike

 From: "Evans, Bill" <Bill.Evans@hq.doe.gov>