RE: [nv-l] NT and nonsnmp

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: RE: [nv-l] NT and nonsnmp
From: "Evans, Bill" <Bill.Evans@hq.doe.gov>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 16:27:57 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 15 May 2006 21:28:48 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
I think your answer is a seed file. Almost everything you need to know
is in the prolog of the /usr/OV/conf/netmon.seed file.

To ignore the 52 devices put their names or IP addresses in an entry and
preceed it with "!".  Then delete it from the NetView database.  The
"bang" will prevent it's rediscovery.  You can also use ranges and
wildcards.

To monitor with ICMP only don't supply a community string which works
but add them to the seed file.  If NV can't use SNMP when they are
discovered it should default to ICMP monitoring.

Getting SNMP to work with devices properly defined should be no problem.
The community name must agree with what you have in the OVSNMP.CONF file
and it should work.  In today's world we keep running into firewalls
which block port 161 and interfere with SNMP so check that out.  Glen's
note addressed a variation of such protection.

Bill Evans