Re: [nv-l] Browsing MIB IBMServeRAID

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] Browsing MIB IBMServeRAID
From: Denis Peuziat <dpeuziat@amadeus.com>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 13:29:26 +0200
Cc: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com, owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Delivery-date: Tue, 23 May 2006 12:32:29 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Well, sorry I should have told you that traps definitions had to be
integrated into Netview first....

so you need to use (I 'm not sure if it is the same utility on Windows
'cause I used to work with AIX...) a utility called mib2trap, it comes with
Netview. it works like that:

mib2trap mib_file output_file       so for your case mib2trap
ibmServeRaid.mib ServeRaidTraps.out for example

basically it extracts the traps definitions from the mib file and write for
each of them an "addtrap" command in the output file you have chosen.

Then you need to execute the bat file created to add all the definitions to
your trapd.conf.

Check the content of the addtrap commands to be sure that the information
corresponds to what you want.

Read carefully the product documentation, you should find a lot of valuable
information in them:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v3r1/index.jsp?toc=/com.ibm.itnetview.doc/toc.xml

information regarding mib2trap and addtrap commands are in the "Windows
programmer's reference" document

Have a good read :o)

Denis

                                      nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
                                                                        cc

    j.chaussinand@b-a-w.com                                        Subject
                                      Re: [nv-l] Browsing MIB IBMServeRAID

        Please respond to
      nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com

    Sent by:
    owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.c
    om
    23/05/2006 11:13

Sorry but I forgot something.
The Serveraid manager provides the ability to send a test trap to a
management server.
I did it and here is what I obtain in the event log of NetView :

An indeterminate severity and this description : Trap found with no known
format in trapd.conf(4)

Here is the output from the event details :

Trap found with no known format in trapd.conf(4)
 Enterprise ibm (1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.167.2.0) community public
 generic trap:6 specific trap:601
 Timestamp:4438689 Agentaddr:AS03DEV3 args(1):
 [1] private.enterprises.ibm.ibmProd.167.2.1.3.8 (OctetString): as03dev3

AS03DEV3 is one of our servers.

Thanks