Re: [nv-l] nvUtil and nvcold

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] nvUtil and nvcold
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 10:57:53 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 15:58:20 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
I think you mean
NetView 7.1.4 AIX 5.2

There's a big difference between "never comes back" and "takes a long time
to return".  The latter indicates a performance problem, and to solve that
you need to look at what else is going on in the system at the time and
what other things use smartsets.  Got rulesets accessing smartsets too?
How about xnmsnmpconf?  snmpCollect?

One other thing to remember.  nvcold gets his information from ovwdb.
Smartsets, after all, are just objects in the database with various
attributes set.  So anything that slows down ovwdb could slow down nvcold.
Does ovobjprint work OK when this happens?  Is you ovwdb cache size larger
than the number of objects ovobjprint -S shows you?  You wouldn't
necessarily have to add a new smartset to cause things to slow down.  It
might be sufficient to add many new members to exisiting ones or
significantly add new objects to the database.

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

             "Bursik, Scott
             {PBSG}"
             <Scott.Bursik@pbs                                          To
             g.com>                    <nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com>
             owner-nv-l@lists.
             us.ibm.com                                            Subject
                                       [nv-l] nvUtil and nvcold

             06/01/2006 10:45
             AM

             Please respond to
             nv-l@lists.us.ibm
                   .com

NetView 6.1.4 AIX 5.2

I am having an issue where nvcold quits responding. It still shows as
running but when I try and run nvUtil commands it either never comes back
or takes a long time to return. I recycled all of the daemons 2 times
yesterday and the issue keeps coming back. I haven't added any new
Smartsets. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Scott Bursik
PepsiCo