Re: [nv-l] prefer Linux version...

To: nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: [nv-l] prefer Linux version...
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 15:24:32 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 20:25:00 +0100
Sender: owner-nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
SLES 10?  Risky business, Jane.

I've been told that someone here testing the SLES10 beta version found that
the NetView installation script hangs, but I don't know any helpful
details, nor do I know whether creating the file /tmp/.noNVPrereqCheck will
enable it to go forward.  I also don't know whether they tried in
installing the pdkshell we've shipped in the past.   All I know is that the
official response was that we aren't ready to begin exploring this until
after FP05 ships. That, as always, is subject to change.

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

             Jane Curry
             <jane.curry@skill
             s-1st.co.uk>                                               To
             Sent by:                  nv-l@lists.us.ibm.com
             owner-nv-l@lists.                                          cc
             us.ibm.com
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [nv-l] prefer Linux version...
             06/07/2006 02:49
             PM

             Please respond to
             nv-l@lists.us.ibm
                   .com

Hi Dave,
As Mark says, I would NOT recommend SuSE 9.1 Professional for a
production environment - use SLES 9, which IS supported.  My SuSE 9.1
Professional is probably the best tested system I have but it is still
not strictly supported.

The next jolly comes later this month when I need to upgrade my SuSE 9.1
Pro to SuSE 10 Pro - again, it won't be supported for NetView but I need
to move the system for other reasons and this isn't production stuff.
Has anyone tried this??

Cheers,
Jane

reamd@Nationwide.com wrote:

> Hi Jane,
>                I am currently running 7.1.4 FixPack4  on AIX 5.3.3...  We
> are currently going through a server refresh project and my Unix team is
> wanting to move to a Linux or Solaris 10 box.  I have had very little
> exposure to Linux, so would Suse 9.1 Professional be your recommendation?
>
> Thanks, Dave
>

>                    Jane Curry

>                    <jane.curry@s

>                    kills-1st.co.