Re: [NV-L] Why isn't SWITCH ANALYZER packaged with NV

To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [NV-L] Why isn't SWITCH ANALYZER packaged with NV
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 10:56:37 -0400
Delivery-date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 15:56:54 +0100
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com
Micromuse is the future

Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group

             Jeff Fitzwater
             <jfitz@princeton.
             edu>                                                       To
             Sent by:                  Tivoli NetView Discussions
             nv-l-bounces@list         <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
             s.ca.ibm.com                                               cc

                                                                   Subject
             07/21/2006 10:31          Re: [NV-L] Why isn't SWITCH
             AM                        ANALYZER packaged with NV

             Please respond to
              Tivoli NetView
                Discussions
             <nv-l@lists.ca.ib
                  m.com>

Thank you James.

    So does that mean the IBM product that will do this, will continue
to be Netview, or a new product under MicroMuse (Performance IP maybe)?

We use the TEC and yes the Netview is kind of a freebee under Princeton
agreement.

Jeff Fitzwater
OIT Network Systems
Princeton University

James Shanks wrote:
> I don't know how "good" the reason is but there is one.  Remember that
the
> basic design of NetView is about fifteen years old, and for much of that
> time, layer 2 visibility wasn't required.  Layer 3 was sufficient.  It's
> only newer technologies like VLAN, MPLS,  wireless, and so on, which make
> it essential for managing those things.  Enter Switch Analyzer.   Switch
> Analyzer is not part of the NetView base, but was developed externally by
> Magnum Technology and IBM has been licensing the code from them, as well
as
> continuing support and development.  It's recovering all that new
> investment in a short  time which makes the code so expensive.   The rest
> of NetView is practically free.  Heck, it is free if you buy TEC.
>
> But you are right, Jeff.  A comprehensive network management solution
> should include built-in layer 2 visibility, full-support for SNMPv1, v2,
> and v3, and more.  And that's our direction.  That's why IBM purchased
> Micromuse.
>
> James Shanks
> Level 3 Support  for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
> Tivoli Software / IBM Software Group
>

>              Jeff Fitzwater

>              <jfitz@princeton.

>              edu>
>              Sent by:                  Netview at IBM

>              nv-l-bounces@list         <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

>              s.ca.ibm.com
cc

Subject
>              07/20/2006 12:11          [NV-L] Why isn't SWITCH ANALYZER

>              PM                        packaged with NV

>              Please respond to

>               Tivoli NetView

>                 Discussions

>              <nv-l@lists.ca.ib

>                   m.com>

> Is there a good reason why SWITCH ANALYZER is not part of the Netview
> package?
>
> It would seem that a level2 node mapping would be part of any product
> like this.
>
> I have been looking at adding the product, but is cost prohibitive due
> to pricing.
>
> Education price 8.00 per switch port and 4k per host processor.
>
> We have 15k switch ports =        120,000
> host has 2  900MHz Process =        8,000
> Maintenance per Yr                         5,000
> Total cost would be                    ~$133,000
>

> I could lower the cost a little by upgrading the host to a single 2k
> processor.  That makes sense!?
>

> I have talked with sales, but no break there.
>

> Any comments please.
>

> Jeff Fitzwater
> OIT Network Systems
> Princeton University