RE: [NV-L] Anyone running Micro Muse Precision IP yet?

To: "'Tivoli NetView Discussions'" <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: RE: [NV-L] Anyone running Micro Muse Precision IP yet?
From: REIBENSCHUH Alfred <alfred.reibenschuh@it-austria.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 15:17:50 +0200
Delivery-date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 14:41:36 +0100
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

We have the soft since it was named OpenRiver.

Answering to questions like:
"will Precision IP do all that Netview can do including Switch Analyzer"
is not easy since P/IP is entirely different.

BUT i'll give you the following to count on in P/IP:

* there is not separate L2 topology, you'll get mixed L3/L2
  based on supported devices (unless you disable L2 discovery agents)

* supported device list is huge, yet "some technologies"
   require additional licencing.

* status polling is done for all discovered Nodes/Interfaces unless
   you use a rule to turn it off.

* scripting is supported via a Perl API,
   which is the same as for C++ and Java.

* yes, you have full access to P/IPs databases (O-SQL)
   via the Perl/C++/Java API.

* yes, you can write your own discovery/polling agent
   in Perl/C++/Java.

* hence you can add your own fields to Nodes/Interfaces
   or build your own Topology or change Status.

remember that P/IP comes with an ObjectServer and WebTop !

ObjectServer == SQL-Server with Event Correlation Engine. (no more baroc coding)

WebTop == Tomcat Servlet/Applet Server. (build you own fancy Event/Status-Views)

any questions?

--
fredo