Re: [NV-L] servmon probably died: ungracefully disconnected from trapd

To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [NV-L] servmon probably died: ungracefully disconnected from trapd
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 13:04:54 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 18:41:47 +0100
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

Well, the error message indicates that a second trapd is not configured now, so the only hope of finding our whether it once was, is to look in /usr/OV/conf/ovsuf where the daemon registrations go. It's a colon delimited file, with the first field being a one or zero, where 1=inactive and 0=active.
So you would look through that file for entries which start with
1:trapd:/usr/OV/bin/trapd:OVs_YES_START:nvsecd,pmd: <other options> :OVs_WELL_BEHAVED: ... more stuff

If you find any entries like this, then observe the "other options" between "nvsecd,pmd" and "OVs_WELL_BEHAVED". There may not be any options at all, but if there is either a -m (dash lowercase em) or -M (dash uppercase em) followed by an IP address or the hostname of another machine, then at one time in the past you were forwarding traps to another NetView's trapd. The -m means to forward only selective traps and these would need to be specified using the Forward button in xnmtrap. The -M means to forward all traps so there is no need to set the Forward, but it is on, it will not create the error message either.

If you find something like that and you want to restore the forwarding to that machine, your best bet is to re-register the trapd daemon using serversetup, Configure--> Options for daemons --> Options for event and trap processing daemons --> Set options for the trapd daemon, so that it gets made permanently. Then you'll probably have to ask someone else in your outfit why this was changed.

As for your other issue about wanting to administer things as a non-root user, you will be able to achieve that only through a sudo function. Some tasks in NetView, such as configuring traps, require root authority. This is logical since whomever can configure a trap, can cause it to run any command or script on the machine, and since all the daemons have root authority, that would result in a non-root user being able to run anything she or he chose with root authority.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Network Availability Management
Network Management - Development
Tivoli Software, IBM Corp
Inactive hide details for sean.lawrence@cantire.comsean.lawrence@cantire.com

          sean.lawrence@cantire.com
          Sent by: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

          10/04/2006 09:43 AM
          Please respond to
          Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

cc

Subject

Re: [NV-L] servmon probably died: ungracefully disconnected from trapd

Because I don't know what I'm doing, where would the second trapd be
configured. Just in case there is a second one. I have just been
configuring these new traps by rote. I don't want to change anything
unless I can confirm we are not using a second trapd.

Sean Lawrence
Systems Automation
Ext 5728

James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Sent by: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com
10/04/2006 09:34 AM
Please respond to Tivoli NetView Discussions