Re: [NV-L] Netview Reinstallation

To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [NV-L] Netview Reinstallation
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 08:45:57 -0500
Delivery-date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 14:21:30 +0000
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

You're kidding right? No? Well, what you have done is not a supported migration procedure and now you will have to do some rebuilding. You see, the building of systems settings and registry settings is done by Installshield so there is no manual recovery for what you have done.

Copy the contents of your NetView drive somewhere to be safe. They should be preserved, but there is no sense in taken foolish chances. Insert the NetView 7.1.4 CD in the slot and re-install. That's the only way to get Installshield to do what he has to do. It should notice that there is a prior NetView installed and ask you if you want to do a migration (upgrade) or a fresh install. Choose the migration option. When the installation finishes you should have a 7.1.4 base level version on your new box but with all your customization preserved. Now you must obtain the latest FixPack for 7.1.4, and install that, and then you will be current.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Network Availability Management
Network Management - Development
Tivoli Software, IBM Corp
Inactive hide details for awatthey@mmm.comawatthey@mmm.com

          awatthey@mmm.com
          Sent by: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

          01/17/2007 02:19 AM
          Please respond to
          Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

cc

Subject

[NV-L] Netview Reinstallation

Hi listers,

I have just had my Tivoli Netview (7.1.4) hardware replaced as it came to
end of lease.  It was on Windows 2000 Server and the new hardware is
running 2003 Server.

They have copied my D: drive from the old machine to the new one (there is
only the USR directory on this drive).  This is where the software was
installed on the old machine in the first place.

Of course, on the new machine, there are no PATH settings, no service is
installed, no NETVIEW userid exists and probably some other things that I
can't think of.

I have looked in the manuals and I cannot find anything that helps me in
this area.  Is there a list of things that will tell me all the
steps I need to go through to get Netview up and running again as it was
before?  The IP address and machine name of the new machine are exactly the
same as the old one so there 'should' be no configuration changes
necessary.

Regards,
Alan.

GIF image