Re: [NV-L] Netview Reinstallation

To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [NV-L] Netview Reinstallation
From: awatthey@mmm.com
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 16:54:19 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 16:39:43 +0000
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com
James,

Thanks for that information.  I suspected that some kind of rebuild might
be necessary.  It's actually simpler than I suspected.  I had visions of
having to use regedit.

Would it be a good opportunity to upgrade to 7.1.5?  Can I  just move
straight there instead or should I first reconstitute 7.1.4?

Regards,
Alan.

             James Shanks
             <jshanks@us.ibm.c
             Sent by:                  Tivoli NetView Discussions
             nv-l-bounces@list         <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
             s.ca.ibm.com                                               cc

                                                                   Subject
             17/01/2007 14:45          Re: [NV-L] Netview Reinstallation

             Please respond to
              Tivoli NetView
                Discussions
             <nv-l@lists.ca.ib
                  m.com>

You're kidding right? No? Well, what you have done is not a supported
migration procedure and now you will have to do some rebuilding. You see,
the building of systems settings and registry settings is done by
Installshield so there is no manual recovery for what you have done.

Copy the contents of your NetView drive somewhere to be safe. They should
be preserved, but there is no sense in taken foolish chances. Insert the
NetView 7.1.4 CD in the slot and re-install. That's the only way to get
Installshield to do what he has to do. It should notice that there is a
prior NetView installed and ask you if you want to do a migration (upgrade)
or a fresh install. Choose the migration option. When the installation
finishes you should have a 7.1.4 base level version on your new box but
with all your customization preserved. Now you must obtain the latest
FixPack for 7.1.4, and install that, and then you will be current.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Network Availability Management
Network Management - Development
Tivoli Software, IBM Corp
(Embedded image moved to file: pic00288.gif)Inactive hide details for
awatthey@mmm.comawatthey@mmm.com

                         awatthey@mmm.
                         com
                         Sent by:
                         nv-l-bounces@ (Embedded image moved to file:
                         lists.ca.ibm. pic30106.gif)
                         com                                            To
                                                 (Embedded image moved to
                                                 file: pic09040.gif)
                         01/17/2007              Tivoli NetView
                         02:19 AM                Discussions
                                                 <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
                                       (Embedded image moved to file:
           Please respond to           pic08942.gif)
       Tivoli NetView Discussions                                       cc
        <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>                  (Embedded image moved to
                                                 file: pic19264.gif)
                                       (Embedded image moved to file:
                                       pic22648.gif)
                                                                   Subject
                                                 (Embedded image moved to
                                                 file: pic27446.gif)
                                                 [NV-L] Netview
                                                 Reinstallation

                                       (Embedded image moved to file:
                                       pic23805.gif)
                                              (Embedded image moved to
                                              file: pic15890.gif)

Hi listers,

I have just had my Tivoli Netview (7.1.4) hardware replaced as it came to
end of lease.  It was on Windows 2000 Server and the new hardware is
running 2003 Server.

They have copied my D: drive from the old machine to the new one (there is
only the USR directory on this drive).  This is where the software was
installed on the old machine in the first place.

Of course, on the new machine, there are no PATH settings, no service is
installed, no NETVIEW userid exists and probably some other things that I
can't think of.

I have looked in the manuals and I cannot find anything that helps me in
this area.  Is there a list of things that will tell me all the
steps I need to go through to get Netview up and running again as it was
before?  The IP address and machine name of the new machine are exactly the
same as the old one so there 'should' be no configuration changes
necessary.

Regards,
Alan.

internal IBM'ers only)