Re: [NV-L] Intermittent Trap Loss in Control Desk

To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [NV-L] Intermittent Trap Loss in Control Desk
From: ss cc <steph_cornish@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 08:39:26 -0800 (PST)
Delivery-date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 17:20:50 +0000
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com
James,
No, these traps are not Log Only, they're all traps which are configured as Status Events.  They're configured to be displayed in the Control Desk.  For example "Node Down", "Node Up", etc.  Yes it starts working again.  The missing events are random.

As stated, the traps are in trapd.log, are configured in trapd.conf to be displayed, but are not in the Control Desk.  There is a customized ruleset in place and it was created by our development team.  I allows NetView and certain vendor traps to be displayed.  When we want to review filtered out traps, we'll create a dynamic workspace and will specify "forwardall.rs" as the ruleset.

We have another server running NetView 7.1.3 and when the server running NetView 7.1.4  fails to display traps, we'll look back at the display from the 7.1.3 server and will see the trap.  Last week a device went down and the server running 7.1.4 didn't display "Node Down" in the Control Desk.  The server running 7.1.3 did have a "Node Down" event in its display.

The workaround I provided for our NOC is to have them create a 2nd events display with "forwardall.rs" specified as the ruleset.  I'll also put together ac script for them to run to check the overall health of NetView.

Stephanie

James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com> wrote:
You haven't told us much.

Do you mean the event window stops working or that some traps are missing? If just one, what about traps after that? Could this trap be defined as "Log Only" in trapd.conf? Are you using forwardall.rs as the ruleset in your Events Window? The lower right frame will tell you. And what about filters? When you pull down Options --> Show status are there any filters applied?

If the event window quits working, try running netstat -a and browse there result. Are there any backed up sockets, sockets where the send or receive queues are not zero? Are you running other rulesets in the background? Does your window ever start working again? What do your users do to recover?

James Shanks
Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Network Availability Management
Network Management - Development
Tivoli Software, IBM Corp
Inactive hide details for ss cc <steph_cornish@yahoo.com>ss cc <steph_cornish@yahoo.com>

          ss cc <steph_cornish@yahoo.com>
          Sent by: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com
          02/18/2007 10:36 PM
          Please respond to
          Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

cc

Subject

Re: [NV-L] Intermittent Trap Loss in Control Desk

All,
The trap will end up in trapd.log but not displayed in the Control Desk.

Stephanie

ss cc <steph_cornish@yahoo.com>
wrote:
All,
NetView 7.1.4 (service pack 3) will intermittently not display traps in the Control Desk. The trap will end up in trapd.log but displayed to users.

Has anyone experienced or heard of this issue?

TIA,
Stephanie

Looking for earth-friendly autos?
Browse Top Cars by "Green Rating" at Yahoo! Autos' Green Center. _______________________________________________