Re: [NV-L] configuring my L3 switch for bandwidth utilization (was just

To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [NV-L] configuring my L3 switch for bandwidth utilization (was just NV-L)
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 16:51:15 -0400
Delivery-date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 21:54:36 +0100
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

I think you didn't get any responses so far because you haven't quite made it clear what you need help with, configuring NetView to gather bandwidth utilization data or configuring your switch itself.

(1) If you want help with setting up the switch itself, you'll have to identify the make and model so that someone who is familiar with that brand can offer suggestions.

(2) If you want help with NetView, then you'll have to tell us what you have so far.
Do you know the hostname of this device? How about it's IP addresses? Is it already discovered and visible on the NetView map?
If so, locate it and select it. Then drop down the Test->Demand Poll menu and demand poll it. Does it respond to SNMP?
If not, then you'll have to use Options->SNMP to add a specific entry for it with the correct read community name.
Don't know what that is? Then you must ask the person who owns it or installed it. If it has no community name set up, then we are back to (1).

If you do know the community name, then with the object still highlighted on the NetView map, drop down Tools->MIB->Browser SNMPv1. This will launch the MIB Browser in context. Drill your way down to .iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry and select ifInOctets. Then click "Get Values". Do you get data back or not? If not, then there's probably an issue with the community string you are using, but if you do get data back, then you are ready to tell snmpcollect to start collecting the data.

Pull down Tools->MIB->Collect Data. You will see a collection already defined called "BandwidthUtilHdx" which is collecting on the smartset Routers but is currently suspended. If your device is a member of the smartset Routers then all you have to do is to change the status to "To Be Collected" by highlighting that collection and hitting the "Collect" button and then "Restart" . But by your description, I'm guessing that it is not . You can check for smartset membership on the root NetView map. I

f your device is not in that smartset, then you can add it to the collection by highlighting "BandwidthUtilHdx" and then hitting "Properties". When the Collection Properties panel pops up, hit "Copy"; when the Copy panel pops up, hit "Add selected nodes from map". This will add your device to the collection. Below the "Add" button you will see the collection properties, how often to collect the data, and what to do when a threshold is reached. You want to make sure that "Store Data" is checked. The threshold settings are optional. And you will probably want to collect the data more frequently than every 30 minutes. So make your changes here. Then hit "OK". When the Copy panel goes away, "OK" the Collection Properties panel too. Then make sure you make the new "BandwidthUtilHdx" collection "To Be Collected" by hitting the "Collect" button, and then hit the "Restart" button and leave. Answer "yes" to the pop up which asks if you really want the Collections restarted and you should be on your way.

Hope this helps,

If you have further problems, try to be a little more specific about what exactly you need help on. That way others will fee more free to chime in.

James Shanks
Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Network Availability Management
Network Management - Development
Tivoli Software, IBM Corp
Inactive hide details for durga priya <durgapriya_cse@yahoo.com>durga priya <durgapriya_cse@yahoo.com>

          durga priya <durgapriya_cse@yahoo.com>
          Sent by: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

          03/29/2007 04:33 AM
          Please respond to
          Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com

cc

Subject

[NV-L] NV-L

Can anyone help me in configuring my L3 switch for bandwidth utilization using Tivoli netview 7.1.4 running on windows 2000 professional ?

with the
NV-L mailing list
NV-L@lists.ca.ibm.com

GIF image