RE: [NV-L] Root access

To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: RE: [NV-L] Root access
From: James Shanks <jshanks@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 09:36:22 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 14 May 2007 14:37:41 +0100
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

Perhaps addtrap does core under some conditions under sudo, though offhand I don't know why that should be. addtrap is looking for a uid of 0 and will exit if that's not the user id of the user who invoked it. I don't know whether sudo on Linux provides a uid of zero or not. Really I have no idea how sudo actually works.

I have no suggestions for how to avoid using root, but I think this issue stems largely from the fact that most UNIX admins are ignorant of the power of NetView. If you let a non-root user configure traps in NetView, then you have given him or her complete authority to do anything they like. All you have to do is configure trapd.conf, with addtrap or xnmtrap or even vi if you know what you are doing, to execute any script you write or any command you like for the Node Up trap and then issue "event" from the command line. The default event is "Node Up" and when trapd gets it, he will dutifully issue that command, and since he has root authority, he becomes the slave of whomever has the power to configure him. So addtrap is a powerful tool that will let whomever has the authority to use it, alter the system in any way they like. This should not be news to any experienced NetView admin, and has been posted in this forum before.

Warning! Personal opinion follows. <soapbox >
The decision not to give the NetView admin root access is purely political; it has no technical basis. It just a matter of corporate turf wars, "You aren't in our group so you can't have access." IBM's position, so far as I know, still remains that the NetView administrator should be the UNIX admin for the NetView box, and that companies should align their political boundaries with what works not with some arbitrary org chart.
</soapbox off>

James Shanks
Level 3 Support for Tivoli NetView for UNIX and Windows
Network Availability Management
Network Management - Development
Tivoli Software, IBM Corp
Inactive hide details for "Kain, Becki \(B.\)" <bkain1@ford.com>"Kain, Becki \(B.\)" <bkain1@ford.com>

          "Kain, Becki \(B.\)" <bkain1@ford.com>
          Sent by: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

          05/14/2007 09:05 AM
          Please respond to
          Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

"Tivoli NetView Discussions" <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

cc

Subject

RE: [NV-L] Root access

Yes, but in my experiences, sudo does not work for all commands (addtrap, for one, core dumps on it)