Re: [NV-L] DB2 nvcollector upgrade HOW??

To: Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [NV-L] DB2 nvcollector upgrade HOW??
From: Gareth Holl <gholl@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 10:13:43 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 15:54:33 +0100
Sender: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

Yes, it is common to do it as a post install task.

In fact it very easy to switch back and forth between the two types of SNMP Data Collectors (assuming you have the pre-reqs in place). You can't use both concurrently though.

The installation of DB2 is documented in the DB2 Guides (no you will not find details on how to do it in the NetView doc ) :
        http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/db2luw/v9/index.jsp

The NetView documentation tells you how to setup the different SNMP Data Collectors:
        http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v3r1/index.jsp?toc=/com.ibm.itnetview.doc/toc.xml

See "UNIX and Linux Installation Guide" -> Planning for Installation -> Planning for Deployment -> Determining which data collector application to use
See "UNIX and Linux Installation Guide" -> Planning for Installation -> Product Requirements -> Software Requirements -> Requirement for data collection
See "UNIX and Linux Administrator's Guide" -> Managing Network Performance -> Collecting Data for Historical Analysis -> SNMPv1/v2 SNMP Collector (nvcollectord)
See "UNIX and Linux Administrator's Guide" -> Managing Network Performance -> Collecting Data for Historical Analysis -> Switching SNMP Data Collectors

Assuming you've installed a DB2 Server (on the same box as the NetView server .... a "requirement"), and also assuming you have made the suggested DB2 configuration changes in the planning section I included above, then you're probably at the point of following the instructions documented in the "Switching SNMP Data Collectors" section.

Compliments of NetView Support .....

Gareth Holl
SWG Client Support - Tivoli Software
Advisory S/W Engineer - Technical Team Lead
IBM Certified Deployment Professional
o/l 1-800-426-7378 t/l 444-9610 gholl@us.ibm.com
http://www-306.ibm.com/software/support/toolbar/index.html?ibmsst=ibmTbMenu

Jeff Fitzwater <jfitz@princeton.edu>
Sent by: nv-l-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com

09/19/2007 09:17 AM
Please respond to
Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>

Tivoli NetView Discussions <nv-l@lists.ca.ibm.com>
cc
Subject
[NV-L] DB2 nvcollector upgrade HOW??

NV 7.1.5 FP1
SOL 9

I want to use SNMPV2 collector.

Did NOT install DB2 with initial NetView install.

I have jut installed the DB2 package.  (I think, since there is no clear
doc on how )

Has anybody done this as a post install?

I have talked to support, and they seem to be lost too.  I have been
working with DB2 group but they don't know Netview.

Can anybody help?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff Fitzwater
OIT Network Systems