Re: SNMPTRAP program for Windows NT.

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: SNMPTRAP program for Windows NT.
From: Bob Natale <bnatale@ACECOMM.COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 09:23:29 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
>Date:    Tue, 2 Jun 1998 07:11:58 -0700
>From:    "Boyles, Gary P" <gary.p.boyles@INTEL.COM>

Hi Gary,

>I'm trying to find a working snmptrap program for Windows-NT.
>Any help would be appreciated.

I assume you are referring the SNMP trap service for NT,
SNMPTRAP.EXE.  (I saw one reply that seemed to be referring
to a "send trap" utility...somewhat the corollary of the
SNMPTRAP service...?)

For the SNMPTRAP service, you must (or really should!) use
the standard SNMPTRAP.EXE.  I believe that this is generally
installed automatically with the SNMP service, either from
the NT CD or the MSDN CD.  Please note that some time ago
ACE*COMM updated the SNMPTRAP code (under contract to MS)
to remove its dependencies on MGMTAPI.DLL, make some (minor)
performance and reliability improvements, and ensure that
WinSNMP v2.0 (WSNMP32.DLL) worked with it properly (without
adding any new dependencies on WSNMP32.DLL to it).  This
version of SNMPTRAP.EXE will be distributed by MS with
NTv5 (and possibly NTv4/SP4), along with the ACE*COMM
WSNMP32.DLL...but current existing versions from MS also
work.

You can get the ACE*COMM update to SNMPTRAP.EXE as part
of our WinSNMP SDK or by downloading the Auto*Manage
app suite package from the /demos dir at www.winsnmp.com.

>I've tried compiling the CMU and UC-D code, but something
>always seems to be missing.  For my last attempt at the
>CMU-code it kept looking for "libdsnmp.lib", and I couldn't
>seem to find this anywhere.

Well, for building WinSNMP apps that (automatically and
transparently) take trap feeds from the SNMPTRAP service,
you would need access to a standard WinSNMP v2.0 WSNMP32.LIB.

We do provide sample source code to a simple console-mode
trap collecting app (CM_TRAPS.C) in the /samples dir at
www.winsnmp.com...and a more full-featured GUI source code
sample as part of our SDK product.

Also, if you just want a pre-built "send trap" utility, you
can use the NP_TRAPS.EXE module from the downloadable
Auto*Manage package mentioned above.

>If you happen to sell the utility -- please send pricing info.

We can get the downloadable files mentioned above for free.
We do sell our WinSNMP SDK and license our engine, but since
Intel is already an OEM licensee of it I'll will hold off
sending any pricing info unless I hear from you directly on it.

Cordially,

BobN
---- ISO 9001 Registered, H/W & S/W Products| NASDAQ: ACEC -----
Bob Natale          | ACE*COMM              | 301-721-3000 [v]
Dir, Net Mgmt Prod  | 704 Quince Orchard Rd | 301-721-3001 [f]
bnatale@acecomm.com | Gaithersburg MD 20878 | www.acecomm.com
----- WinSNMP DLL, SDK, Apps & Agents for Win16/32 & UNIX ------
------ WinSNMP specs and sample code at www.winsnmp.com --------