Re: Seedfile usage in NV 4.1

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Seedfile usage in NV 4.1
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 23:19:39 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I'm not familiar with V4 on DEC, but if it works the same as for AIX,
I've had great success using seedfiles to speed and limit discovery.

>> - IP address range is not taken into account for Netview local subnet

By default it will discover everything on the local subnet. If you put
in a range that allows the netview machine but excludes the rest of the
addresses on the subnet, you should discover only the management station
on that subnet.

>> - IP address range is not taken into account if you ping manually a node
outside this range

You will only discover the nodes you ping if they are either explicitly listed
in the seedfile, or if they are
within the range(s) listed in the seedfile. Keep in mind that with V4, (at
least on AIX) putting a range in
a seedfile makes it a restrictive seedfile. Therefore you must enter either
explicit entries for all
nodes you wish to discover, or a range that includes those nodes. Also remember
that a range does
NOT force discovery, it only allows discovery. So you might do best with ranges
that overlap the
explicit entries you put in there to speed things up. And try to work out from
the center.

Yes, the exclusion option is only available in V5.

Cordially,

Leslie Clark
IBM Global Services - Network & Systems Management - Detroit