Re: APPN Mibs

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: APPN Mibs
From: James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 15:31:27 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
If you have the MIB browser open in one window at the time you load the
MIBs, then you must close it and reopen it, since it only reads the
directory once upon opening.

I don't know what any of these MIBs contains, so I cannot tell you what use
they are, but in general a MIB (Management Information Base) defines an
object which can be queried via SNMPGet or SNMPGetnext  from a remote agent
which supports it.  Thus, if one of the MIB elements were a count of
packets received on an interface, you could get that value from the remote
agent.  You load the MIB in NetView so that you (1) know what to ask for
(we format the SNMP request under the covers) and (2) know how to interpret
the response.   You do not have to specify the agent you want to obtain
this information from if all you want to see what the MIB provides.  You
only have to specify a remote host for the Query function to work.

So why can't you see all the MIBs you loaded?  I don't know.  Are you sure
they are all IBM product MIBs?
 You will have to browse the MIB file itself with an editor in
/usr/OV/snmp-mibs and see where they should be loaded.  Look for an entry
right near the beginning which says OBJECT IDENTIFIER :: = .  What follows
this is an indication where the MIB fits in the hierarchy.  For example if
you see something like
{ enterprises  atmForum(353)  atmForumNetworkManagement(5) 3 }
 then this means that we are adding something called atmForum under the
enterprises level (.iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises), which is on
the same level as ibm and not subordinate to it.  It further says we will
be defining something called atmForumNetworkManagement below that .   Not
having these MIBs you mention myself, I cannot tell you where to look for
them (and no, please do not send them to me :-) but you should be able to
do that yourself with a bit of practice.

Perhaps the person who sent you the MIBs in the first place can tell you
what use you can make of them.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

vpretor@FAST.CO.ZA on 06/15/98 08:40:47 PM