Using "Query Database Field" on Individual Router Interfaces

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Using "Query Database Field" on Individual Router Interfaces
From: Robin Arzoni <rarzoni@CARDINAL.CO.NZ>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 15:31:01 +1200
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hi,

I'm trying to use the 'Query Database Field' ruleset node to allow temporary
blocking (suppression) of events from specific Cisco router interfaces. I
can use this technique to block events from an entire router, but I'm having
problems getting it to work at the router interface level.

I have a C program that creates a database field called 'Suppressed', and
sets the value to YES or NO. So far, so good. If I set the Object ID source
in the Query Database Field node to 'Origin', then NetView picks up the
router name when it receives a trap, correctly finds the router entry in the
object database, and processes the rest of the ruleset according to the
value of the 'Suppressed' field. Great.

The problem comes when I want to suppress individual router interfaces. They
each have an object ID, and an entry in the object database, so I can set
the 'Suppressed' flag on or off for each of them. But how do I get NetView
to find the database object entry for the interface, based on the values in
the incoming trap? I can only specify one value in the Object ID source; I
can't specify multiple attributes, as in the 'Reset on Match' node. OK, I
could write a script to find the object ID, but I'm trying to get away from
scripts. We've found that they sometimes don't get run when the box is very
busy.

If the database provides separate entries for separate interfaces, then
surely it must be possible to look up those entries from a ruleset? Perhaps
I'm missing something obvious here. I'd be grateful for any help that you
can provide.

PS: Cisco traps provide the following info:

Field 1 : interface index number
Field 2: interface description

The interface entries in the NetView object database can be interrogated by

        ovobjprint -s <router name>:<interface description>

Thanks,
Robin Arzoni

Cardinal Network
Christchurch, New Zealand