NV V5 - Firewall/Routing table -Reply

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: NV V5 - Firewall/Routing table -Reply
From: Hal Dorsman <DORSMANH@SPH.HBOCVAN.COM>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 10:41:17 -0600
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Netview can handle external networks/hosts through a firewall just fine.
Simply define a route on your Netview box  to the external network with
your firewall as the gateway.  Define a translated address for your
Netview box on your firewall so it can be seen from the outside.  Your
external router will have to have the address of your Netview station
with your firewall as your gateway so your router will know how to find
your internal Netview box.  Add a rule in your firewall allowing SNMP
from your external networks to your translated address for your
Netview station.  Add a rule allowing SNMP out from your Netview box to
your external networks.

You didn't say what firewall, but I am using Checkpoint Firewall-1 and am
running Netview through it to monitor several remote frame-relay WAN
sites.  Works great.

Let me know if you have any problems.

Hal Dorsman
Network Adminstrator
Saint Patrick Hospital
Missoula, Montana, USA

>>> "Kirsten S, Campbell" <Kirsten.Campbell@NAUTEC.CWPLC.COM>
08/24/98 10:50am >>>
All (Could someone please send me an ACK if they receive this),

     We are installing firewalls, and will now have to monitor external
customers networks.

     My question is:   How do Netview cope with the routing tables, when
we
are doing address translation in the Firewall??

               Will Netview try and link "address translated" objects with
the "real" objects, using the router table in the "address translated"
object???

     Thanks for any help given.

               Kirsten