Re: NetView Distributed Management

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: NetView Distributed Management
From: Matt Ammann <mammann@MIPOS3.INTEL.COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 11:38:26 -0700
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Soem questions re: your excellent information.

Jeffrey_Snover@TIVOLI.COM wrote:

> Downstream MLMs perform discovery, status polling, SNMP
> data collection, and trap filtering at the subnet level.
> They can report up to one or more NetViews. Regardless
> of the MLM platform, the NetView can be Unix or NT (V5.0a
> or V5.1)

MLM functions only at the subnet level? Is there anyway to expand
this to multiple subnets? Most or our campus have many subnets, which
we would like to "manage" with one MLM.

> Can NetView for NT V5.1 also be a "central manager"
> controlling MLMs?  Yes and no.  It can offload discovery
> and status polling to downstream MLMs and receive traps.
> But the functions necessary to configure and view the
> MLM MIBs are only available with NetView for Unix at
> the moment.

What is the plan to allow Netview NT "central manager" to configure
and view MLM MIBs? This is the APM feature right?

thanks,

Matt