Re: Interface Addr Change & Config Checks.

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Interface Addr Change & Config Checks.
From: "Joel A. Gerber" <joel.gerber@USAA.COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 10:41:46 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
We have faced this situation many times when "moving" IP addresses from one
router to another.  It seems to me that NetView should be able to
automatically delete an interface from a router when it does the
configuration poll (demand poll).  The SNMP get of the interfaces table will
show that the interface no longer exists on that router.  Why not delete it
automatically?  Another possible solution is to key off of the "duplicate IP
address" traps that netmon generates when it does the configuration poll on
the router to which the interfaces were moved.  At that point, NetView
should be able to determine which router "owns" the interface, and
automatically delete it from the old one and add it to the new one.  This
kind of processing is very similar to the way NetView handles HSRP
interfaces when there is a HSRP failover, so it seems to me like most of the
function needed is already in the product.  It just need to be integrated to
handle this particular change of "moving" an IP address from one device to
another.

It would be great if the Tivoli-ites/IBMers on the list communicate this to
the appropriate developers, so we do not have to submit product enhancement
requests.