Distribution of NetView 5.1

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Distribution of NetView 5.1
From: James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 07:22:19 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hello everyone,
     I have received a number of questions surrounding NetView 5.1
availability, so  I though I would update everyone at once.
     NetView 5.1 officially became RTM (Release To Manufacturing) on August
24, 1998, meaning the final bits have been cut onto a CD  and the code is
available through Tivoli channels.  The product will NOT actually become GA
(generally available) through the IBM worldwide distribution channels until
September 18, 1998.  All customers with a current maintenance contract for
NetView will automatically receive the 5.1 code on the GA date.  If you are
a  customer that wants a copy of 5.1 prior to the GA date, you need to do
the following:

Starting on Thursday, September 3, the customer can send a note directly to
swdist@tivoli.com requesting NetView 5.1, again including the same
information:  company name, customer # (preferably, a Tivoli cust# which
starts with a T, but IBM cust# can work), mailing address, contact name,
and contact telephone number.

Please note that a number of customers on the HOT LIST that were to receive
a copy of NetView 5.1 were NOT entitled to NetView or had their maintenance
contract expire (a customer receives 1 year of service free when purchasing
the product, but must pay for a maintenance contract after that in order to
receive upgrades).  If a customer sends a note to swdist and their
maintenance contract has expired, they will be sent a reply note asking
them to renew their contract via another note to renew@tivoli.com.  The
Tivoli account representative, if known, is generally blind copied on this
note.

     Hope this helps!!

One last note:  If a customer purchased NetView for NT or NetView for
Digital Unix through Digital, they must request 5.1 through the Digital
(Compaq) Corporation, who does have a copy of the code.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

P.S.  I was also informed that the hardcopy documentation for NetView 5.1
is not available at this time, but will be sent to all customers who
receive the product when available.  For the UNIX product, however the
hardcopy is identical to the 5.0 version.