Stratus-to-NetView Customization

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Stratus-to-NetView Customization
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 00:21:36 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
 This sort of trap managment is frequently requested, but always turns out
to be more complicated than you thought it was going to be. Here are some
of my thoughts on the subject, and this applies to traps from all devices, not
just Stratus.

First, distinguish between the mib and events. The mib is usually just
provided to describe questions that the agent in the device can answer,
translated from dotted decimal to dotted words. It helps you use the
mib browser, data collection, and the mib application builder. Then there
are the events, or traps, that it can forward to an snmp manager such as
netview, the things you want to react to graphically. If they did not come
pre-defined in Netview, you have to define them.  It is possible that
Comtek provides a script to issue addtrap commands to define  (and
format) those traps in the trapd.conf file. It is also possible that they
deliver
those traps in a pseudo-mib file, using a mib-like grammer that sort of
describes the traps, instead of mib variables. That sort of mib can be
processed with the mib2trap command instead of using the EUI or the
addtrap command. Usually they are just defined in a manual somewhere
(if you are lucky) and you enter them using the EUI (Options..Event..)

Now. You have some events that Stratus machines will send to Netview.
Probably they include the generics, cold start, warm start, etc. Then there
are some vendor-specific ones. Like, I don't know, "I'm Sad" and "I'm Happy"
and you want to make operators aware of this status. There are a couple
of ways to do this, some harder than others.

You can add an object to the node submap, along side the interface cards,
for "Happiness".  Give it a status source of Object. Then you either customize
the trap, or define a ruleset to manage that status of that object. The
simplest
way to do this is with the Status trap. You issue the trap for the object and
it sets
the status. The trap is 58916871.

 /usr/OV/bin/snmptrap              \
   $HOSTNAME .1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.3.1  \
   $HOSTNAME 6 58916871 1           \
   .1.2.6.1.4.1.2.6.3.1.1.2.0 Integer 14 \
   .1.2.6.1.4.1.2.6.3.1.1.2.0 OctetString $SELECTION_NAME \
   .1.2.6.1.4.1.2.6.3.1.1.2.0 OctetString "Object status is" \
   .1.2.6.1.4.1.2.6.3.1.1.2.0 OctetString $STATUS

 where $HOSTNAME is the sender, $SELECTION_NAME is whose status to change
 and $STATUS is Up, Down, etc.   (I don't recommend using this on things Netview
is already managing.)

This is the sort of thing that the APM does, using MLM, to set status based on
mib variables, as opposed to incoming traps. Now, when you go to do this sort
of management, you run into issues of how to unset the things, and what the
status
is when the map first starts up, etc. Because you are basically dealing with MAP
objects.

I think I have a better idea, and I'm going to try it out on the next few
cutomers
I work with who want quick&dirty solutions. I think the answer is Collections,
and
the Ruleset editor, and the field query/set capability in V5. I'll define a
Collection
where "isHappy" = FALSE. When the "I'm Sad" event comes in for a node, I'll set
that field to False for that node  using the Ruleset.  Collections will
automatically put
that node in the Collection. When the correspnding "I'm Happy" event comes in,
the Ruleset will set the field back to True. It will automatically be removed
from the
collection.

The baby-step approach would be to have one field, one collection, and never
do anything automatically to take nodes out of the collection. If it's in that
collection,
you are supposed to go in there and check on it (like Monitor..Events..Current
Events
to see what has come in for this device). Then I would have a little app that
issues
an snmptrap that the ruleset would process to change that field and get the node
out of the collection. The more advanced configuration would require a
collection
for every variable that you are thresholding, and the rearm trap would take it
out.
For unsolicited traps, such as those sent by Stratus, you would want to be sure
pair up the bad/good events so you could automatically reset the field.

Most of my customers  don't have a staff of crack C programmers available for
Netview customization. I'm hoping these functions are simple enough for most
of them to use. I believe in the 80/20 rule: 80% of what you want for 20% of the
effort is a good deal.  Maybe some customers out there are already using this
method
and can  tell us if there are any pitfalls. Because I know... it is always more
complicated
than you think it is going to be!

Cordially,

Leslie Clark
IBM Global Services - Network & Systems Management - Detroit

- -  - - - - - - - - -  Original Note  - - - - - - -- - - - - -
Is there anyone who has a Stratus machine that they have sending alerts
to NetView?  Comtek provides a Stratus MIB for NetView that supports a
very limited set of events.   What we are trying to do is have every
Stratus process (currently 200+), report to NetView.   If a process
abends, we would like an alert sent to the NetView log, and the
corresponding icon representing that specific process will turn red.   I
am having a tough time finding anyone who has done this, or a consultant
who has the skill set to make this happen.   I spent 3 months going
rounds with IBM and they had no one in their organization who was
available to do this.

Thank you in advance.