Re: NetView 5.0 and Framework 3.6

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: NetView 5.0 and Framework 3.6
From: James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 07:09:30 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Ray -
Sorry for the confusion here.
But I stated on this forum many times already that officially there are no
fixes for NetView 5.0.  The only official fixes are in the next Version,
5.1 because there was no patch mechanism built into 5.0 when it was
released.  You have been lucky so far in that the bugs that have bothered
you have been fixable by efixes -- single module replacements of V5.0 code.
But this may not always be the case.  If you find a bug which requires a
fix to a shared library, for example, then you are out of luck.

All customers should be planning a migration to NetView V5.1 as soon as
possible.  We can help diagnose bugs on  Version 5.0, but you will have to
be t V5.1 to receive a fix.  And Version 4 will go unsupported -- that is
"no more fixes" -- by the end of the year.  You can still get diagnosis
help, of course, but if your problem cannot be re-produced on Version 5.1
then you will have to migrate to get  fix.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Ray Schafer <schafer@tkg.com> on 09/30/98 06:48:02 AM

Please respond to schafer@tkg.com