Re: NetView 5.0 and Framework 3.6

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: NetView 5.0 and Framework 3.6
From: Ray Schafer <schafer@TKG.COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 14:41:21 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView et alia <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
On Wed, 30 Sep 1998 James_Shanks@tivoli.com wrote:

> Ray -
> Sorry for the confusion here.
> But I stated on this forum many times already that officially there are no
> fixes for NetView 5.0.  The only official fixes are in the next Version,
> 5.1 because there was no patch mechanism built into 5.0 when it was
> released.  You have been lucky so far in that the bugs that have bothered
> you have been fixable by efixes -- single module replacements of V5.0 code.
> But this may not always be the case.  If you find a bug which requires a
> fix to a shared library, for example, then you are out of luck.
>
> All customers should be planning a migration to NetView V5.1 as soon as
> possible.  We can help diagnose bugs on  Version 5.0, but you will have to
> be t V5.1 to receive a fix.  And Version 4 will go unsupported -- that is
> "no more fixes" -- by the end of the year.  You can still get diagnosis
> help, of course, but if your problem cannot be re-produced on Version 5.1
> then you will have to migrate to get  fix.
>
> James Shanks
> Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

So basically, you won't be able to give me a fix for at least some
problems with Netview 5.0.  This is not the kind of support I
expected.  Customers are forced to go to a new release.  I don't like
this directive.  In my opinion, Tivoli should re-think this.  There are
other ways to cut support costs that will not sacrifice customer
satisfaction.  It is a change from the way version 4 worked.

Don't get me wrong please.  I mean this as CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.  I
have been extremely pleased with the support from Netview.  All
software has bugs, and I am certain that CA's TNG and HP's Openview
have their share as well.  However they don't have the support that TME
10 Netview has - in fact I think they pale in comparison.   This new
policy of encouraging customers to upgrade to a new release that is 2
weeks old instead of being in a position to build a fix for their
current problem puts this support down a noch or two.  This is all that
I am saying.  Nothing more.

--
Ray Schafer            The Kernel Group         http://www.tkg.com
schafer@tkg.com        +1 212 880 6444          Pager: (800) 532-4722