FAQ creation

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: FAQ creation
From: Chris McBride <ChrisM@RIGROUP.COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 10:36:05 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I've been reading this mailing list for a year and half now, and I've never
seen a FAQ, or anyone voice that there should be FAQ created.  I have seen
(and asked) many questions that have been answered before.  And while it is
possible to search the mailing list archives to find the answers to
problems, that is somewhat of a pain, and alot of new users have no idea how
to do this.  And since the amount of messages stored in the archive was
reduced recently, it's not as all inclusive as it once was.

When I attended Netview 5 class at Raleigh a couple months ago I made a list
of questions that could be included in a FAQ.  So I thought I would list
these out here, and get some feed back from the list.

What other questions need to be added to this list and included in a FAQ?
I'm not saying that I'm going to create all the answers for the FAQ, but I'm
willing to spend some time and try to help put it together with some help
from the rest of the NV-L list.

So, in no particular order:

1.  How to setup Paging notification
2.  Why are some daemons not running
3.  Why are some daemons running in 'not well behaved' mode
4.  Y2K compliance
5.  Installation requirements for Netview 5, and 5.1
6.  What patches are needed for Netview and Framework and OS
7.  Where to obtain patches
8.  How to add traps
9.  How to fix database corruption
10.  How to change IP number or hostname on box
11.  Why 'link previously assigned' message occurs in trapd.log
12.  Seedfile limitations and setup in NV4 and NV5
13.  How to get Control Desk to startup in a seperate window
14.  Ruleset creation hints
15.  SNMP Polling do's and don'ts
16.  How to setup utilization data collection for WAN and LAN interfaces
17.  How to setup graphs on utilization

Chris McBride
The Rock Island Group
chrism@rigroup.com