Re: how to block node-up/down traps?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: how to block node-up/down traps?
From: giscard.fuchs@GECITS-EU.COM
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 16:38:31 +0100
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
vladimir, james,

1. as described: ovevents.log (max. only 2MB) and events-display (max only
1000).
the maximum values are not enough for our situation.

2. via xnmtraps i can only block out totally the specific traps.
i can't filter for example the server node-down traps (or only a list or
collection of ip-addresses)

3. this is exactly what i was trying to do (i even included the rule: see
below). unfortunately it doesn't work :-(
james, what do you mean by the expression "hand your events windows"?
we are using the rule block.rs as described below and we can't see a
difference to forwardall.rs.

4. please no dynamic filtering: ovevents.log is still clogged! the
important traps are still purged out! this is only a solution for the
display.

>To change the ruleset of the primary workspace you have to modify
/usr/OV/app-defaults/Nvevents
this is i was looking for - but the rule itself still doesn't work.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen - Yours sincerely

Giscard Fuchs
CompuNet Berlin
System Engineering
Mariendorfer Damm 1-3, 12099 Berlin, Germany
Phone: +49 30 70785-147, Fax: +49 30 70785-130, Mobile: 0172/8212409
Internet: giscard.fuchs @ gecits-eu.com

If you are going to use a ruleset for this, I have just one thing to add to
Vladimir's comments below.

No ruleset in ESE.Automation should ever have its initila event stream node
set to PASS.  If you do that, you will hand your events windows

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Vladimir Petr <petr@DATASYS.CZ> on 10/28/98 07:38:38 AM

      NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>