Re: How do I stop nodes from being processed by event manager?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: How do I stop nodes from being processed by event manager?
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 09:17:49 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
If the events are the netview up/down events, then unmanaging the nodes
stops
netmon from polling them, hence no up/down events. That assumes that they
are
unmanaged in ALL maps, if you have more than one map. On the other hand, if
what
you are getting are unsolicited traps generated by the devices themselves
(the
event will have an 'A' in the source column for 'Agent') then you have
other options
You can (preferably) stop the generation of the traps at the source. If you
don't need
them at all, you should prevent the traffic from happening. If you do want
to see them
but just don't want to get paged, then you need to refine your ruleset that
pages you.
And if don't want to see unsolicited events from unmanaged nodes IN THE
EVENTS
DISPLAY, you can use the option Darrell refers to. This must be done each
time you
open the events display, and it only affects the events display. It does
not affect the
ruleset.

So... if you are only disturbed by Netview events, look to make sure the
nodes are
really unmanaged in all maps. If you are being disturbed by unsolicited
traps, you
have to fix it in your ruleset.

=

In the Event windows there is an option to suppress events for unmanaged
nodes.  Have you set this option on.

Darrell W. Perreira
First Hawaiian Bank
(808) 844-3334