Re: NetView cannot discover a node

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: NetView cannot discover a node
From: Ray Schafer <schafer@TKG.COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 15:35:31 -0600
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, Jens Hahn wrote:

It could be in the database but not any map.

Try these steps:

First check the topology like so:
ovtopodump <IP Address in seedfile>
If it returns anything, it will show the Selection Name and Object ID
of the node.  It may not have the name you expect.

An example:

# ovtopodump 153.2.0.210
CLASS    OBJECT ID      OBJECT               STATUS    IP ADDRESS
NODES    136409/141881  porsche              Up        153.2.0.210

The two numbers separated by "/" under OBJECT ID are the object ID's of
the node / interface.

If you do not get any info like this from ovtopdump, you may have an error
in the seedfile (examine /usr/OV/log/netmon.trace).

If you do get info back, do this:
ovobjprint -o <Object ID>  # From ovtopodump above

Look at the "OVW Maps Exists" and "OVW Maps Managed" counts.  They tell
you how many maps the object exists in and how many maps the object is
managed in. If the object is not in the map, or the map count is wrong,
you may have to do this:
ovmapcount -cu
ovstop netmon
ovtopofix -A