Re: When should I use database with NetView

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: When should I use database with NetView
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 11:28:50 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I never use the database, either, on an AIX installation. It is designed
to be used in a couple of different ways. You can use it on a realtime
basis,
instead of the flat file database, but this is not recommended for anything
other than small networks for performance reasons. On Unix the code is
optimized for the flat file implementation.  You might like to make use of
it, however, in an asynchronous fashion.  You can periodically dump
the topology data, trapd.log data, and snmpcollect data to a relational
database. This makes it available for reporting and ad-hoc queries.
Both uses are covered in the Database Guide.

And as Craig pointed out, you don't need Framework to run Netview
for NT.  There is no integration between the two products. However
I believe that they can coexist, if that is what you are asking. Someone
will correct me if I am wrong.

You do not need the Framework for NT, only on UNIX installations.