Re: data collection on switches

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: data collection on switches
From: Mel Brinkley <mbrinkle@ARCHES.UGA.EDU>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 08:13:06 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>

>Hello,
>

>I believe that the figures I see are not the pure counter value.
>They appear to be the change in the counter value since last poll devided
>by the polling interval in seconds. ?
>
>Has anyone looked into this further or found documentation  ?

Right.  Say, you are collecting every five minutes.  What you will get is
the average of the five minute interval.  This will, of course, level out
peaks, but if you want to see peaks shorten the interval.  For example,
collecting every thirty seconds will get you close to the sniffer level.  I
would not recommend doing this except for short periods of time and special
cases.  A tremendous amount of data is produced.

The basis of the question is what do you want to see.  Octets per second on
a net of
so many bits per second allows you to see the load on the net on a timed
basis.  If you are interested in see how many octets have went over the net
in a period of time, you can snmpwalk the counters on a snapshot basis.  You
have to handle counter rollover which can occur frequently on a very busy
network.  Some people handle it with scripts.  I handle it with COBOL
programming.  Good luck and happy wading through all that data.

Mel