data collection on switches

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: data collection on switches
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 22:36:48 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>

There is an explanation of sorts in the file /usr/OV/conf/mib.coerce. This
is where
mib variables which are not of the desired type can be forced to be another
type
(eg integers become counters). It also explains that snmpCollect  reports
the value
at time 2 minus the value at time 1 divided by the time interval. Netview
also handles
wrapped and cleared values, I think by skipping the data point when the
value at
time 2 is less than the value at time 1. The nature of counters and itegers
and guages
is a standards thing, so I expect that it is defined at the top of some RFC
like rfc1213.

(248) 552-4968 Voicemail, Fax, Pager

---------------------- Forwarded by Leslie Clark/Southfield/IBM on 01-27-99

"Rodighiero, Lisa" <lrodig@VISA.COM> on 01-27-99 11:59:31 AM