Re: Going from AIX to Solaris

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Going from AIX to Solaris
From: James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 09:03:26 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Just out of curiosity, why would your management pressure you to adopt
Solaris?
I've heard that the hardware is cheaper, but Solaris is harder to
administer (not just my opinion but that of several outside consultants)
unless you have been doing it for some time.

I'd say you should make the decision based upon the availability of
third-party apps (like Jeff Fitzwater suggested) and your ability to
administer it.  But it is true that NetView is developed on AIX and ported
to Solaris, so there is always the possibility of some hidden problem there
that doesn't show up under our testing.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Thierry Van Mol <thierry.van-mol@CIEV.VD.CH> on 02/23/99 11:16:54 AM