Re: rulesets

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: rulesets
From: "Randy Pelle (DSN)" <Randy.Pelle@DSN.ERICSSON.SE>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 17:42:42 +0100
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Having troubles with rulesets myself, I like to say this:

I agree with James, 90 nodes sound like too big. But if so, what is the
limit. I'm still looking for it in any document I can get my hand on.
Second what is the use of a GUI ruleset editor if it means you still have to
do some shell scripting for the greater part of getting things done the
right way.

Maybe experienced ruleset wizards can answer this:
Is there a strategy (rule of thumb) for creating rulesets. Like in what
would be the most efficient order in using all available options from. I'm
thinking of something like: pizza -> trap decision -> query database (is
node an importand enough)-> reset on match (comparing up & down from same
node) ->send pager alarm.
Having a efficient node order may also reduce the number of nodes you need.

BTW, Larry even with a partial ruleset done, try using it with 'nvcdebug -d
all' and check the nvcorrd.alog an nvcorrd.blog in /usr/OV/log it may give
some hint when rulesets are becoming as you say a 'resource-pig'.

Kind regards,
Randy Pelle