rulesets

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: rulesets
From: Larry H <remlali@HAREM.ERICSSON.SE>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 12:24:47 +0100
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hi,
I wonder how many of you are using rulesets, when it seems most task could be
performed with shell-scripts. Indeed when using netview commands.

We're currently building a trap filter system, so that netview-traps behind a
failing router wo'nt alarm. Problem is, using only a ruleset it would be too
large, about 90 templates ( 9 templates per Campus ).

So I wrote a shell script taking care of all traps, that was about 100 lines,
that it is own subsystem with failing router-tables etc..

Anyhow we still want to use a rulset, so a compromise was made using
inline-action template, problem is I cant figure out how to send variables
about the trap to the command.
thanks!
/larry