Re: rulesets

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: rulesets
From: James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 13:16:32 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Randy -

What is the limit of how many nodes you can have in a ruleset?

There are no published benchmarks.  The limit would be determined by the
speed and size of your processor, the number of traps you have arriving per
second, the complexity of what you are trying to do, and most of all by the
fact that all traps and all rulesets are processed  by one daemon, nvcorrd.
I have personally seen customers running as many as 35 rulesets, but these
were very simple (trap settings --> event attributes --> page someone).

What is the use of a GUI ruleset editor if it means you still have to do
some shell scripting for the greater part of getting things done the right
way?

The ruleset editor is not and does not claim to be a 4th Generation
Language to handle all your needs.  But that does not keep it from being
very useful.  The developers wrote the twenty top things that they were
told people would want or need and provided those in templates or nodes for
you to use.  If you want to do more than is provided, then you have to
provide your own code to do it.  That about sums up the state of GUI tools
on UNIX, doesn't it?  And at least you don't have to write the code to send
events to the display, or resolve them, or do pass or reset on match and so
on.

Is there a strategy for creating rulesets?
Yes, in the Admin Guide for V5 (I think) with all the other stuff about
rulesets it suggests that you use the most definitive criteria first, just
as you outlined.  Usually this is Trap Settings so that you are not
bothering with traps you don't need, because all of them go through
nvcorrd, even the ones marked "Log Only" in trapd.conf.

I posted a note on Ruleset Performance with suggestions last year.   I will
do so again.

Hope this helps.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support