Re: rulesets

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: rulesets
From: James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 08:43:46 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
90 nodes?
It sounds way too big to me.  Just what are you trying to do with it?
How on earth do you intend to test something that complicated?

You may need a ruleset if you want to do event matching or keep some events
off the display while letting others of the same type through.  Merely
running a shell script as an automatic action in trapd.conf won't give you
that.

BTW, it is possible to combine shell scripts with your rulesets if you have
a script that is useful and does more than you can easily do using the
provided functions.  That's what actions and in-line actions are for.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Larry H <remlali@HAREM.ERICSSON.SE> on 03/03/99 08:04:59 AM

      NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.ucsb.edu>