Re: Monitoring network traffic

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Monitoring network traffic
From: Steve Cochran <steve@MORE.NET>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 09:43:00 -0600
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
For long-term statistics we use the freeware tool MRTG
(http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/mrtg.html) but we have
outgrown it and are currently looking for a good commercial solution.

On the subject of utilization reporting, I'm curious what others do
when you install or remove hardware interfaces from routers.  In the
case of Cisco, and I believe most other devices, SNMP instance numbers
are assigned to each interface at boot time.  If you add or remove an
interface and reboot the router, the router may number interfaces
differently.  (For instance if you have a router with a serial port,
a HSSI port, and an Ethernet port they might be numbered 1, 2, and 3.
If you remove the hssi port and restart the router the serial port
will still be instance 1 but the Ethernet port will now be instance 2.
Now the HSSI and Ethernet statistics are mingled and separating them
becomes a major hassle.)

I would think this would be a common problem in any network that is very
dynamic, but I am not aware of any tool that can handle this intelligently
(by storing its data according to the interface description instead of
the SNMP instance, for instance).  Does anyone else have this problem?

Thanks,

Steve Cochran

At 10:10 AM 3/16/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I don't know much about network monitoring.  All I know is we want to
>gather enough information about our network so that when a problem
>occurs, we can target the cause of the problem.
>
>We have two segments in our network and one network manager.  We have
>NetView installed and configured to monitor all the resources on the
>network.  I have looked into using the Mid-level manager but it appears
>that you need more than one manager to use the MLM.
>
>Thank you for responding.
>Jennifer
>
>Jennifer Redding
>Andersen Consulting
>phone:  413-535-4135
>voice mail:  1-800-624-5780 X2384
>email:  jennifer.redding@ac.com

Steve Cochran        MOREnet Network Operations Center
steve@more.net                           (573)884-7200