Re: Perl vs shell scripts

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Perl vs shell scripts
From: "Boyles, Gary P" <gary.p.boyles@INTEL.COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 08:44:50 -0800
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Alain,
I used to do "C" and "C-shell" programming.  I've traded in
the "C-shell" for perl.  I like it a lot.  It's kind of a cross
between, C, Basic, and Shell programming.  Takes the best of
all worlds, and a lot of people have written modules for it.

On NT, I use the "ActiveState" version of perl.  It seems to
activate and run faster than the version on AIX, but its hard
to compare  (Pentium Pro 200 (vs) IBM RS6000 560).

The nice thing about it... is that it is completely portable
between AIX and NT  (except for the slash (vs) back-slash
in file-names).

Look at http://language.perl.com/index.html  for the
distribution pointers.

Regards,