Re: Perl vs shell scripts

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Perl vs shell scripts
From: Chris Cowan <chris.cowan@2ND-WAVE.COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 09:25:43 -0800
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
"MENEZES, ALAIN" wrote:

> >   Never fork a process unless you need to.   For example, I
> > constantly see people writing code that will do a `nslookup` rather
> > than
> > use gethostbyname().
> >
>         [MENEZES, ALAIN]  Do you mean that perl scripts can use
> subroutines (like e.g. gethostbynames() ) ?

Exactly! Perl is very feature rich in this area, even perl4.   I can
actually do a fork(), exec(), wait(), open sockets, there's even a
generic interface to the kernel using syscall().

With perl5, the story gets better.   I can dynamically load libraries
and write modules which can call just about any API library I want to.
Actually, I have always wanted to take some time and write some wrappers
to allow me to use the Netview libraries from perl5.

PS. I wish the Netview NT people had chosen perl rather than Tcl.