Re: Nways - constant Synchronize

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Nways - constant Synchronize
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 00:02:04 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I always use vmstat and monitor or top when I'm putting in an Nways.  And
tail the
nettl log. I would do an ovstop cmld and let the machine idle out, with the
map down.
And then ovstart cmld and watch what goes on. Iubd and ahmtopod will do a
lot
of work at startup. They  may take turns a bit, and will probably peg the
box, but
will eventuallly finish polling all of the devices they are responsible
for.  Then the
box may well idle out again. (Check the polling parameters for Hub and ATM
-
if you are running very constrained, set them to demand vs regular.) After
they
idle  out, then start the map and watch what happens. One thing that will
still
cause synchronizing  at the opening of the map is the MAT. By default it
does
a lot of syncing at map open. You can defer this activitiy by editing the
ed.conf
file (/usr/lpp/mgtapptran/something..) and add this option on the Rnvgate
entry:  -NO_SYNC_AT_START
They will then be created and sync'd up when you do a Tools..AppTrans....
Refresh. I'm not sure they are still recommending this, but I've been doing
it.

The idea is to know just how constrained the envionment is, and to see what
is normal. Try not to do too many things at once, as they will all slow
down
the synchronizing that is normally done by ipmap when you bring the map
up. Also, watch the nettl log. You may find messages that indicate that it
is having
trouble with microcode levels on some of the devices. I had some 8260s
recently
that just could not be successfully polled by iubd until they reset the
TMACs.

(248) 552-4968 Voicemail, Fax, Pager

---------------------- Forwarded by Leslie Clark/Southfield/IBM on 03-22-99

Jane Curry <jane.curry@SKILLS-1ST.CO.UK> on 03-18-99 05:27:29 AM