Re: Device Status

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Device Status
From: "Todd E. Lewis" <telewis@PROVIDENTBANKMD.COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 08:21:10 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Ok, thanks alot.

>>> Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM> 04/20 11:33 AM >>>
Sounds like you are on Netview for NT. In that case, you can either
unmanage the things you don't want to ping/poll, or you can prevent
their discovery by using an explicit seedfile to discover only the
things you DO want to manage. Take the database you have, identify
everything you DO like, and use it to generate and explicit seedfile,
then rediscover using that seedfile. If you want to keep all the
stuff you have now, I would unmanage everything, then re-manage
the things in your smartsets.

Whats the best way to check availability of devices on the network, but
limit the status polling to specific smart sets, SNMP POLLING OPTIONS maybe
?

For example I only want to check servers,routers,and hubs for up/down
status. I don't care about workstations. What's the best way to handle
this. Thanks in advance.

Todd