Re: Optivity components: which ones will be integrated with

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Optivity components: which ones will be integrated with Netview?
From: David Easter <deaster@NORTELNETWORKS.COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 11:49:31 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hi,

  Nortel Neteworks is not "moving away" from platform integration at all.
What may be confusing you is that Optivity NMS 9.0 provides a
"platformless" option that does not require a platform (such as NetView) to
be present for installation.  This is a change from previous releases where
Optivity NMS needed something (OV, SDM, NV) underneath.

  However, if NetView is present, we will integrate just as strongly as we
do today - and plan to continue this tight integration moving into the future.

  Many of our customers wanted the flexibility to choose - some like having
NetView there for management of end nodes, 3rd party equipment, and
integration with other NetView compatible applications; others wanted to
manage Nortel Networks (Bay Networks) devices on a separate machine.  We
will provide both solutions in Optivity NMS 9.0.

Hope that answers the question,

-David J. Easter
Sr. Product Manager - Optivity NMS, Network & IP Services Management Division
Bay Networks/Nortel Networks - How the world shares ideas.

-=-REgarding-=-