Re: Web Interface issues

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Web Interface issues
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 12:41:06 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
1) That is a feature. No one asked me beforehand, but the developers
thought it would be neat. This is so the analyst, when he goes to a
closet and checks a device, can web back to the map and ack it for
everyone to see. Unfortunately it also means that any user with
access (limited by Netview Security, of course) can ack anything.
This is the ONLY case where someone with essentially r/o access can
have a destructive effect on what others see. Anyone who does not
like this feature should send a note to netview@tivoli.com to
explain how this affects them in real life. Maybe it should be
optional, or a separate entry in Netview Security. (IMHO)

2)  I'm not sure you can expect exact reproduction on the web client.
You might make sure that the box your browser is on has its display
set to the same resolution as the Server does, eg 1280x1024. But
it appears to me that the background and foreground are handled
separately, so the results of the two might be a tiny bit different.
I usually find that background gifs are great for marketing and
presentations, and for when the tour group comes through your ops
center, but in real life they usually just slow down responsiveness.
Operators soon learn to love the logical map you lay out for them.

If anyone has any ideas, they would be appreciated.

I am running AIX 4.3.1 on Tivoli 3.6 and Netview 5.1.1
We just started using the web interface for monitoring
purposes. I have the following problems:

1. When a user acknowledges an interface on the web,
it also acknowledges the interface on the read/write
map.

2. When the icons on the web interface are displayed
they have moved from the position they were in on the
r/w map. Example: I have the map of US as my
background, on the GUI Raleigh,NC is in NC. But, on
the web it is in KY. My users are having problems
finding the correct sites.

I have deleted the .gif files and rebuilt them and
have no problems with the colors or status changes.

Thanks

Jan