Re: netview 5.1.1/nt and trapd/netmon problems

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: netview 5.1.1/nt and trapd/netmon problems
From: "Todd E. Lewis" <telewis@PROVIDENTBANKMD.COM>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 08:28:22 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Yes, I went back to version 5.1 and I'm now having DR. WATSON errors when
snmpcollect starts up.

>>> OGrant <OGrant@PEC.COM> 05/04 2:07 PM >>>
Installed netview 5.1.1 over 5.1/nt last week with so-so results -
apparantly linked to outdated odbc drivers (sql server was 2.65, core were
all 3.0.x).  Discussed situation with tivoli support and implemented their
suggested fix, which was as follows:
- deinstall netview entirely
- install mdac 2.0 from 5.1.1 cd
- reinstall 5.1, followed by 5.1.1

Problems appear to continue - event browser comes up very slowly, if at all
- nv.log shows, among other lines, repeated error message of "trapd caught
in do purge exeception - attempting to recover."  When (if) it does come up,
events are being processed and written to sql server.

 Although netmon is verifiably up, demand polling works intermittendly -
frequent inabilities to connect to netmon on server.

I suspect odbc as the cause again, but its seems less than likely now that
mdac 2.0 (with updated odbc drivers) has been installed -- has anyone
experienced similiar problems?  I'm running nt 4.0 w/ sp3 - Thanks much,

Oliver Grant
Performance Engineering Corp.