Re: netview 5.1.1/nt and trapd/netmon problems

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: netview 5.1.1/nt and trapd/netmon problems
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 09:16:01 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I don't know anything about problems you have going back to 5.1 from 5.1.1,
BUT ...
we have just taken a Sev1 APAR, PJ26414, for problems with trapd using the
SQL Server rather than Access.
>From your earlier notes about trapd looping in the "do purge" routine, I'd
say that was what you were experiencing.
The source of the problem seems to be new code added by development in
5.1.1 to some kind of compression when the purge occurs.  We are in the
process of building and testing an efix which avoids the problem by
removing the new function.  If you want to open a problem with Support,
then you too can get the efix if you chooose to go back to 5.1.1.  But
perhaps you will want to wait a few days until the customer who reported
the problem initially confirms  that the fix works for him.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

OGrant <OGrant@PEC.COM> on 05/05/99 09:01:52 AM

      NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>

To:   NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU

Interesting - I went back to 5.1 as well, while retaining MDAC 2.0 - no
improvement in the time (2-3 minutes) it takes event browser to come up;
also, ovstart and ovstop are *extremely* sluggish.  Did receive dr. watson
errors, but I can't remember under what circumstances/what was happening
when they occurred.  I'll be investigating further, as well as watching
trapd closely - I'm strongly suspecting odbc driver problems here, but
can't
pinpoint them.  I enabled sql tracing, but nothing's being written to the
file, strangely enough.
Traps are being received and processed, as well as being written to the sql
database - demand polling also working intermittendly, but this might be
traced to snmp timeouts/transmission problems, not any faults with netmon.

Oliver Grant