Re: Netmon Stops Discovering

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Netmon Stops Discovering
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 23:52:39 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Sorry if this is too basic, but are you using a seedfile? Some things
just don't make any noise, and have to be pinged to be discovered.
Things like hubs, novell servers, routers at the other end of unnumbered
serial connections, etc. On the discovery settings (and on the netmon
daemon setting), make sure you
have turned on all of the options you need, like support for secondary
addressing and unnumbered interfaces. And make sure you have
not check the box that says only discover the local network, or
only discover the seedfile. At a minumum, put all of the routers
you can think of in the seedfile. And consider that ping-spray
option if you think it won't adversely impact your network. And
for the routers you have discovered, are you getting snmp access
to them all? So you see, lots of things can restrict discovery. Can
you be more specific about what is missing?

(248) 552-4968 Voicemail, Fax, Pager

---------------------- Forwarded by Leslie Clark/Southfield/IBM on 05/16/99

Paul Fordy <paul.fordy@VIRGIN.NET> on 05/16/99 08:46:30 PM

      <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>