Re: Netview NT 5.1.1/Baroc files for TEC

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Netview NT 5.1.1/Baroc files for TEC
From: "Todd E. Lewis" <telewis@PROVIDENTBANKMD.COM>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 14:49:25 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Thanks, I confirmed that this will not work in NT at all with Christine Nutt.
So I sent a request for this to work to development. We'll see what happens.

>>> James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM> 06/01 11:24 AM >>>
The problem is WAY more fundamental than that.

 mib2trap on NT can be used to update your trapd.conf by creating an
addtrap script.  But since the NT TEC adapter is completely different, and
does not read the trapd.conf file, no changes you do there will affect what
the NT TEC adapter does.  You must change (customize) the tecad_nv6k
configuration files, and then create your .baroc to match.  There is no
automated process to help you NT as there is in UNIX.

The mib2trap-created  .baroc file is meant for UNIX-only.  It has no
connection with what happens on the NT adapter.  You might as well throw it
away.  Even if you do define a new superclass and import this new .baroc
into TEC, the tecad_nv6k adapter you are using will not send it that way
because it know nothing about it.   Because that is not how it works.  You
must read the event adapters guide that ships with TEC and learn how to
identify new traps and classes  to send to TEC (using the CDS file I
believe).

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

"Todd E. Lewis" <telewis@PROVIDENTBANKMD.COM> on 06/01/99 10:47:42 AM