Re: Send event when node is down at startup???

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Send event when node is down at startup???
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 19:58:02 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
NetView for UNIX does not keep such a list per se, though you could build
one by querying the databases (creatively using ovobjprint and awk for
example) or by building a collection of nodes with a Status of Down, and
let nvcold do it for you.   Lots of folks do that.

But events are strictly current events.  The only ones you will see in the
window are those which have arrived since nvcorrd was last started.  Old
events are not part of the event display.  You can look at recently past
events using Event History but that is a separate facility.  Once the
daemons are restarted, the event stream is considered anew.

Saving your environment just allows your filter to work on the next events
which come in, though you could also bring up Event History and apply it
there too.  But after the ovevent.log reaches its max (about 2 Meg I think)
then the old ones are gone from there too.  So there is no reliable way to
look at all currently valid node down events unless you search the old
copies of trapd.log or build a mechanism of your own to save them as they
occur. Trapd has an option to automatically roll over to new log files if
you like to save them, but there is no GUI for looking at them.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Jeff Fitzwater <jfitz@PRINCETON.EDU> on 06/07/99 04:27:12 PM

      NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>